Hair Gone logo
Image of a row of hairdressing chairs

Eczema and Contact Dermatitis





The terms eczema and dermatitis are often used synonymously to mean an inflammation of the skin caused by the abnormal production of cells in the upper layers of the epidermis, or top layers of the skin. The cells may be loose and thin or thick, often accompanied by weeping. The rash formed can be itchy and irritating while fissures or splits may appear.








Lesions or cuts



Site may raw, scaly or thick

Area may drain or ooze




Normally it is caused by direct contact with an irritant or allergen, or exposure to a material to which you are allergic or hypersensitive. Some common allergens include:


Oxidising chemicals

Detergents, solvents or highly alkaline solutions

Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac

Nickel or other metals




Fragrances and perfumes

Soap, shampoos and hair dyes rich in alcohol




For most types of dermatitis, the practical solution is to make lifestyle changes. If the cause and ‘trigger’ can be isolated and then avoided, the problem can usually be solved.

If you are suffering from Allergic Contact/Dye Dermatitis (details below), then avoiding the chemical that caused an allergic reaction is very important. Sometimes, however, the symptoms can become to this type of dermatitis can become quite significant. It is important that you visit your GP as in certain cases you will need to be prescribed specialist medical treatment.


Legal Advice and Allergic Contact/Dye Dermatitis:


Hair PictureAllergic Contact or Dye dermatitis is a specific type of contact dermatitis which is an allergic reaction to permanent hair dye. It can occur in people who have used a product repeatedly as well as people who are using a product for the first time. The severity of the allergic reaction can vary from a mild irritation and itching to intense symptoms such as burning, blistering and swelling.


In one extreme and very rare case, a 38-year-old woman suffered an anaphylactic shock shortly after changing her hair dye. At first she developed a non-specific allergy causing scalp itching after using her old hair dye for a while. She changed the dye, but anaphylactic shock developed and she died within an hour after applying it.


Since the risk of sensitisation rises with the frequency of contact, it is essential that a patch test is performed every time the dye is used. If you are using a product for the first time a minimum of 10 days is required before you develop a specific sensitivity. For second and subsequent exposures 6-72 hours is enough.


If you developed an allergic reaction and a patch test was not performed prior to the colouring process, you may be entitled to compensation towards any extra medical or hair treatments that you afterwards needed to address the problems caused by your hairdresser’s negligence and failure to perform the test.


If you are interested in contacting Macks Solicitors to find out more about the process of making a claim and the options that are open to you, call Free phone 0800 980 9389 or 01642 252828 or visit our website at and complete the online compensation form. At Macks, our expert solicitors will happily provide you with no-obligation legal advice on your situation.  If you choose to make a claim with us, your welfare will be our top priority and we will work to help put your life back on track.  Hairdressing negligence and hair dye allergies can be a painful hassle that you struggle to shake off completely a long while after your unfortunate trip to the hairdressers. We are very aware of this and so can organise your compensation claim around your every convenience.


Claim Now Button