A burn damages and destroys the top layers of skin which are the body’s natural defence making you more prone to infection. Tissue fluids (serum) leak from burns and must be replenished by fluid from the blood so keeping hydrated is important. Shock can also occur if the burns are extensive. Burns are caused by corrosive substances or friction, while scalds are caused by wet heat such as boiling water. Burns can also be received from salon chemicals in some hair treatment procedures such as perming, straightening and colouring and also from the hot appliances used.
Thermal heat from
- Heated hair appliances
- Hot liquids
- Heated metals such as radiators, irons and kettles.
Chemicals such as
- Peroxide (used in colouring, highlighting and perming hair)
- Sodium hydroxide (used in relaxing hair)
- Hydrochloric acid (used in toilet bowl cleansers and metal cleaners)
- Hydrofluoric acid (used in rust removers, tile cleaners)
- Phosphoric acid (used in rust proofing, disinfectants and detergents)
- Sulphuric acid (used in drain cleaners, metal cleaners and automobile battery fluid)
- Ammonia and phosphates (used in detergents and cleansers)
- Calcium hypochlorite (used in pool chlorinating agents and household bleach)
Do not pop any blisters that appear.
Do not apply creams, ointments or lotions.
Do not use adhesive dressings.
Consult a doctor if it is a severe burn. If it is a mild burn which you are concerned about or isn’t healing properly consult a doctor or dermatologist as soon as possible.
Cool the burn with cold water (or another cold, harmless liquid-milk) for 10 minutes.
Remove restrictive clothing and jewellery from the area before swelling occurs.
Cover the injury with a non-fluffy, sterile dressing: clean plastic bags or cling film are good.
Before using any chemicals on your hair a patch test must be conducted to check that you don’t have any adverse reactions to them. Some chemicals in hair treatments are only meant for ‘off the scalp’ use. If these products were used on the scalp, they can cause severe burns. For example, hair bleaches are meant for ‘off the scalp’ use only. Hair colour formulas are mixed with high strength peroxides, but can be used directly on the scalp. If you suffer severe burns to your head the hair follicles (pits in the scalp out of which hairs grow) could be permanently damaged. The result of this is hair loss, and a lack of re-growth of new hairs to replace those that were lost.
If you feel that your burns were caused by incorrect use of chemicals or heated appliances by your hairdresser during a hairdressing procedure, you may be entitled to compensation. After a stressful period dealing with burns due to hairdressing negligence, you will be in much need of peace of mind. At Macks Solicitors, we will work on your behalf to get you the compensation you need to cover any medical or hair cure treatments that were required to repair damage, and towards the intense discomfort and embarrassment you may have experienced while your burns were still healing and the hair badly damaged.
For free expert legal advice, call Free phone 0800 980 9389 or 01642 25 28 28 or alternatively complete the online compensation claim form with Macks Solicitors. We will be happy to advise you on both legal and medical treatment in every way possible. Your welfare is important and if you have suffered from hairdresser negligence we want to help you and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.